"On Saturday the proprietors of the Swan kindly invited the ladies and Mr. Colver to an afternoon and evening ride on that boat to Boggy, Garniers, Rocky and other bayous, and to Marler's at Destin. A nice lunch was furnished on the boat. The trip was simply delightful, particularly the ride up Boggy bayou, with its mills and nice places to view along its shores, such as the Parish landing and the Woodmen of the World home. Mr. Parish, who is quite a vessel owner, is a brother to the Walton County Judge. One of the mill owners at Boggy, Mr. Crawford and his wife, were on the Swan, returning from Pensacola, and helped to make the trip interesting. McKenzie seemed to be doing a rushing business with his mills, and is building up a nice village on the west bank of the bayou. The name of Boggy should be changed to Bayou Grand, or Live Oak Bayou, as the name Boggy gives a stranger a wrong impression of a bayou that has deep, clear water, and high and dry shores a half mile apart."
Boggy, Florida became "Niceville" on November 5, 1910. It was part of Walton County five more years before Okaloosa County was formed. Two of the first churches, which are still in existence today, were the First Baptist Church (est.1910) and the Niceville United Methodist Church (est. 1913).